Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Logo: Western University Canada
Residence at Western
Logo: Housing at Western University
Damage Appeals Policy

When and why are damage charges assessed?

According to the terms of the residence contract as outlined in the Residents' Handbook, you are responsible for the condition of your room and any shared spaces. The Residence Life Management Team makes every attempt to attribute damage and vandalism charges to the individual(s) responsible, but when those responsible cannot be found, all members of a suite, room or floor may be charged equally for damages. It is our hope that affected residents will cooperate with the Residence Life Management Team to ensure that those responsible are held accountable.

Excessive caretaking charges are levied when cleaning extends beyond caretakers' standard duties. Examples of excessive caretaking include, but are not limited to, clean up of trash/recycling not being disposed in the designated container(s), body fluids in public/private areas, debris from fire extinguishers being discharged, food and beverages in public/private areas, confetti/glitter, removal of graffiti, residue from adhesive backed decorations, repair of carpet and upholstery damage, painting and repairs required from use of scotch tape, duct tape, coloured putty, or replacement of furniture removed from a room or lounge.

Purpose of the Appeal Process

Students who receive damage charge assessments have the right to appeal damage charges and excessive caretaking charges. An appeal process has been developed to enable those students who believe and can demonstrate that they should not be responsible for paying a particular charge.

Please keep in mind that, appeals will not be reviewed against:

  1. the principle of charging for damages. Keeping our facilities maintained in good order is important to us. Normal wear and tear to residence facilities is expected, and is covered by your standard residence fees. However, damage due to negligence or vandalism require additional charges to be paid by those responsible.
  2. the cost of material and the cost of labour (rate or hours charged). All damage charges are based on an established list of rates documented by the University's Physical Plant Department. The complete list of charges is available at the front desk of each main campus residence.

If there are not sufficient grounds for the appeal, or if the appeal is based on one of the two principles above, it will not be forwarded to the Damage Appeals Committee. Only appeals with sufficient grounds will be forwarded.

Appeals Process

If you have a question or concern regarding the damage invoice, please contact the residence secretary of your building to discuss the invoice before submitting a damage appeal.

Damage appeals must be submitted and received in the Residence Admissions Office, room 3C10 Ontario Hall, on or before the due date of the original damage invoice. If the damage invoice is not appealed prior to the deadline date, the appeal is no longer valid.

Appeals are reviewed by the Damage Appeals Committee and all decisions by the committee are final. The Damage Appeals Committee may deny an appeal when accurate information about the prior state of the area damaged is lacking. Therefore, it is very important for you to properly complete the check-in form provided by Housing. When you move into residence, Housing provides a check-in form for you to complete, indicating the number of furnishings, the condition of furnishings, and the condition of the premises. You sign this form upon moving in. You are financially responsible for any damages or missing items that occur during your occupancy. If you fail to use or properly complete the check-in/out forms the result will be a forfeiture of your right to appeal a damage charge. A check-out form is provided to you when you move out.

Appeals are reviewed by the Damage Appeals Committee and all decisions by the committee are final. The committee is comprised of seven members including staff from the Division of Housing and Ancillary Services, the Physical Plant Department and a student representative. The quorum of the committee is four.

Contact Us     |     FAQ     |     Docs & Forms
Related Links

On This Page